Friday, September 23, 2005

Whocast #26 - 09.23.05

Reviewing Spearhead from Space and it's Danielle's 3rd Birthday!




How coincidental that I introduce the Third Doctor on her Third Birthday!!!
This is Jon Pertwee's introduction as the Third Doctor - It is also the beginning of Doctor Who being broadcast in full color!
This episode also introduces a lot of new information about the Doctor. We now learn about the Doctor's 2 hearts, his unique cardiovascular system, his non-human blood type and ability for a self-induced deep healing coma.
It also reintroduces U.N.I.T. back into the Doctor Who canon as the adventures of the Third Doctor will be primarily earth-bound as the Time Lords have exiled him on Earth. It brings back Nicholas Courtney as Brigadier Alastair Lethbridge-Stewart, and introduces Caroline John as Liz Shaw.
It also introduces the Autons/Nestene Consciousness created by Robert Holmes, whom I consider the greatest Doctor Who writer EVER!!!

I also get to a few emails before I run out of time!

Happy Birthday again, Danielle!!!!

Enjoy!
-Tom

P.S. As promised, the link to Who North America - www.whona.com

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Danielle!!!

Looking forward to listening to the Podcast, but I couldn't agree more that Robert Holmes is the best Who writer. I Really like those tiny lines that add a whole galaxy. Remember Talons of Weng Chiang, when the Doctor confronts Magnus Greel and says "I was with the Phillipino Army when they took Rekjavik" One complete and intriguing back story in 10 words. Masterful.

Anonymous said...

I've recently been listening to the BF Tomorrow People stories and been impressed by the way BF took what was almost the childrens' TV equivalent of 70s Who (entertaining, but cheap), and brought it into the 2000s. The interesting point is that the new stories don't go out of their way to excuse it, but acknowledge in various ways that the past was different and times have changed. To a large extent it reminded me of the way new Who brought things back, reimagining where necessary, but not pretending the past didn't happen.

Anonymous said...

Have to agree re Robert Holmes. I had a vague memory that he was the originator of the view that 6 part stories were basically a 4 part with a 2 part tacked on, and wonder how he'd have fitted in with the threaded storytelling evident in today's Who eg
Rose->AOL/WW3->Boomtown
Long Game->BW/TPOTW

Michael Hickerson said...

Tom....I am trying to get interest in the boards going again so we can kick glutteous maximus and take names as we were before. To that end, I posted my review of Spearhead from Space there to try and stir up some conversation...

Bruce R said...

Hey Tom,

I'm enjoying these shows that detail the early Dr. Who adventures. I've never seen them so they are shedding light on the later series, SOME of which I have seen. Between my own podcast and the comic I am working on, not to mention fund raisers for the Library, I don't seem to have a whole lot of time to comment, but know that I am listening and enjoying!

Oh, and happy birthday to Danielle who shares the same birthday with me, except she's (mumble 47 mumble) years younger than me!